Monday, April 13, 2009
Harry Kalas

Our city was saddened when we heard that the announcer for the Philadelphia Phillies, Harry Kalas, passed away this afternoon. Harry was found in his booth at 12:30pm, just before today's game against the Washington Nationals, which for some reason makes me feel so peaceful. Here's a man who spent 21 of his 73 years announcing for the Phils, and he dies right where he loved to be.

Harry Kalas started announcing for the Phillies in 1971, seven years before I was born. Those that know me even a little bit know that I’m not a sports fan. But, I grew up in a house where my dad supported Philadelphia teams, and my husband is exactly the same way (if "exactly" means "much more obsessively obsessed"). So, I grew up listening to Harry’s voice. A summer evening ball game won’t be the same without it. Falling asleep on the sofa on a Saturday afternoon was easy if the game was on because Harry’s voice was so soothing. Being at the game, hearing him shout “It’s Outta Here!’ made up part of the whole experience.

Very sad news. RIP Harry Kalas. Philadelphia will miss you.

Labels:



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home